Date Prepared: September 19, 2014
Name: Samir A. Melki
Office Address: 1101 Beacon Street, Suite 6W, Brookline, MA 02446
Home Address: 79 Baxter Road, Brookline, MA 02445
Work Phone: 617-566-0062
Work E-Mail: email@example.com
Work FAX: 617-734-3264
Place of Birth: Lebanon
1983-1986 BS, Biology, American University of Beirut, Beirut, Lebanon.
1987-1991 Ph.D., Molecular Physiology and Biophysics (Thesis advisor: Nada Abumrad PhD), Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, TN.
1991-1994 BS, M.D., Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, TN.
1994-1995 Transitional Intern, Chestnut Hill Hospital, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA.
1995-1998 Resident, Ophthalmology, Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC.
1998-2000 Clinical Fellow, Cornea and Refractive Surgery, Massachusetts Eye & Ear Infirmary, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA.
Faculty Academic Appointments
2000-2008 Clinical Instructor. Ophthalmology. Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA.
2008-Present Clinical Assistant professor. Ophthalmology. Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA.
Appointments at Hospitals/Affiliated Institutions
2000-2014 Present Assistant surgeon, Ophthalmology, Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary.
2003- Present Staff surgeon, Ophthalmology, Brigham and Women’s Hospital.
2014- Surgeon, Ophthalmology, Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary.
Major Administrative Leadership Positions
2000-Present Director and founder, Boston Eye Group. Founded a multispecialty ophthalmology practice that has now grown to include 6 ophthalmologists and 2 optometrists and additional 35 member staff. The practice also offers a Fellowship training program since 2007.
2014-Present Board Member, Qualsight Inc. Provides quarterly feedback on laser vision correction operations. This includes medical, business and marketing aspect of Laser Vision correction.
National and International:
2004 – 2013 Medical Director, UK Specialist Hospital. Set up a free standing outpatient surgical center in coordination with the UK department of Health. Provides ongoing oversight of clinical operations including physician recruitment, quality control, surgical audits.
2010 – Visiting Corneal Surgeon, Beirut Eye Specialist Hospital. Introduced Keratoprosthesis surgery to Lebanon and regularly perform surgical sessions in coordination with local surgeons.
1991 – 92 International Health Committee Vanderbilt University.
1992 – 93 Regional coordinator for the International Health Task Force. American Medical Student Association.
1994 – 95 Graduate Education Committee, Chestnut Hill Hospital, PA
2008 – Fellowship Selection Committee, Cornea Department Massachusetts Eye & Ear Infirmary, Boston, MA.
1995 – 1996 International Health Committee Vanderbilt University.
2005 – 2013 Regional coordinator for the International Health Task Force. American Medical Student Association.
2010 – 2013 Strategic Development Group, collaborative group to enhance Ophthalmic delivery in South West England.
1995 – Present American Academy of Ophthalmology.
1995 – Present American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery.
1996 – 2001 Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology.
2011 – Present The Cornea Society.
Ad hoc Reviewer
- Journal of Cataract and Refractive Surgery
Other Editorial Roles
2000-Present Pre-publication projects reviewer, Slack Inc.
2010 Member of Faculty 1000, a peer-review of Ophthalmology publications
Honors and Prizes
1992 Microbes and Defense Academic Society, Vanderbilt University.
1997 Worthen Center Award for Excellence in Eyecare Research, Georgetown University.
1997 Chief Resident, Georgetown University Ophthalmology Department.
1998 Worthen Center Award for Excellence in Eyecare Research, Georgetown University.
1999 Chief Fellow, Cornea & Refractive Surgery, Harvard Medical School.
2003 Best Paper of Session. American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery.
2004 Runner-up, ASCRS video festival, Refractive Complications, San Diego CA,
2006 Runner-up, Best presentation, “Challenging Cataract Surgery Session” American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery.
2009 Best paper award, European Association for Vision and Eye Research
2010 Best paper of session, American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery
2011 Achievement award from the American Academy of Ophthalmology
2013 Grand Prize of scientific video competition, ASCRS
2013 Most Read Paper in IOVS in 2013, IOVS, Collagen Cross-Linking Using Rose Bengal and Green Light to Increase Corneal Stiffness May 01, 2013; 54:3426-3433
Report of Funded and Unfunded Projects
Current Unfunded Projects
2007–Present Principal Investigator. Investigating a novel device to wirelessly measure intraocular pressure through an implanted sensor. Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary (MEEI-HMS). This is a collaborative project with Claes Dohlman MD and a German company (Implandata) which manufactures the device. We have completed animal experiments at MEEI. This has led to the implantation by myself of the first intraocular device to measure pressure by telemetry in June of 2011.
2009-Present Collaborating with Irene Kochevar Ph.D. at the Wellman Laboratory at Massachusetts General Hospital. The project involves studying a new modality for corneal collagen crosslinking.
2012-Present Investigator in an FDA clinical trial to examine the effect of corneal collagen crosslinking on patients with Keratoconus and post-Lasik ectasia.
2012-Present Development and validation of a surgical checklist to minimize human errors during laser vision correction.
Report of Local Teaching and Training
Teaching of Students in Courses
1997 Ophthalmology Skills Transfer for First Year Residents. Georgetown University, Washington, DC. Senior Instructor. Designed curriculum and supervised teaching.
1998 Introduction to Anterior Segment Surgery. Georgetown University, Washington, DC. Senior Instructor. Designed curriculum and supervised teaching.
2006 Advanced Ophthalmology OP508 M.8. Harvard Medical. Tutor. One to one supervision of a medical student for 1 month.
2008 – Present Harvard Medical School PD2 Course. Tutor in a 3 hours course.
2009 Advanced Ophthalmology OP508 M.8. Harvard Medical. Tutor. One to one supervision of a medical student for 2 months.
2010 Advanced Ophthalmology OP508 M.8. Harvard Medical. Tutor. One to one supervision of a medical student for 1 month.
2010 Advanced Ophthalmology OP508 M.8. Harvard Medical. Tutor. One to one supervision of 2 medical students for 1 month each.
Formal Teaching of Residents, Clinical Fellows and Research Fellows (post-docs)
2000 – Present Supervise Cornea and Refractive Surgery fellows in clinic and operating theatre to improve medical and surgical skills. Involves regular interaction in a didactic and clinical setting.
2008 – Present Yearly lecture to MEEI residents about cornea and refractive surgery topics.
2008 – Present Monthly round-table discussion of Cornea clinical cases (Cornea Club) with MEEI fellows and residents.
Laboratory and Other Research Supervisory and Training Responsibilities
2007 – Present Supervise clinical research fellow in a project to study a novel device to wirelessly measure intraocular pressure through an implanted sensor. Principal investigator.
2009 – 2010 Master’s Thesis Supervisor, Daniel Cherfan BS. Boston University Masters in Health Sciences.
2010 – 2011 Masters Thesis Supervisor, Yuqing Gao BS. Boston University Masters in Health Sciences Program.
2011 – 2012 Master’s Thesis Supervisor, Omar Ali BS & Steven Robinson BS. Boston University Masters in Health Sciences Program.
2012 – 2013 Master’s Thesis Supervisor, Kenneth Garrett BS. Boston University Masters in Health Sciences Program.
2013 – 2014 Master’s Thesis Supervisor, Joanna Galindo BS & Daniel Adrian BS. Boston University Masters in Health Sciences Program.
Formal Teaching of Peers (e.g., CME and other continuing education courses)
2003 – Present 1-hour quarterly course to optometrists on eye care related topics. Boston, MA.
2004 Surface Ablation in Refractive Surgery, Optometry EyeSaver Conference, Boston, MA.
Report of Regional, National and International Invited Teaching and Presentations
2000-2008 101 Pearls in Cornea, Cataract and Refractive Surgery. American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery Yearly Course. (Senior Instructor).
2000 LASIK Controversies. American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery Course. (Participant).
2009 Intractable Rainbow Glare after Intralasik, Intralase Users meeting, San Francisco CA.
2009 Extreme Cornea. American Academy of Ophthalmology. Instruction course. (Participant)
2010 A case of Intractable Rainbow glare after Intralasik. American Academy of Ophthalmology. Refractive Surgery Subspecialty Day. Chicago IL.
2010 Extreme Cornea. American Academy of Ophthalmology. Instruction course. (Participant)
2010 Invited Speaker, Georgetown University, Ophthalmology Department.
2013 Extreme Cornea. American Academy of Ophthalmology. Instruction Course. Participant.
2004 Fixing the LASIK Flap. European Society of Cataract & Refractive Surgery Course. Senior Instructor.
2012 Invited speaker at the Bristol Eye Hospital, UK.
2013 Invited speaker at the annual Canadian Ophthalmic Society, Montreal.
2014 Invited speaker at the World Ophthalmology Congress, Tokyo.
Report of Clinical Activities and Innovations
Current Licensure and Certification
1998 – Present Massachusetts Medical License.
2005 – Present General Medical Council certification, UK.
Practice Activities 2000- present
- Ophthalmologist Private Practice Boston Eye Group Brookline, MA
- Ophthalmologist Hospital based Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary Boston, MA
- Ophthalmologist Hospital based UK Spexialist Hospitals London, UK
Developed and published the “Potential acuity pinhole”: a simple method to measure potential visual acuity in patients with cataracts. This was a method that was tested by myself when I was a resident at Georgetown University (1995-1998). I put together a prospective clinical trial to study its validity during that period of time. This culminated in a publication in the peer-reviewed literature. (Melki SA, Safar A, Martin J, Ivanova A, Adi M. Potential acuity pinhole: a simple method to measure potential visual acuity in patients with cataracts, comparison to potential acuity meter. Ophthalmology. 1999;106 (7):1262-7). It is difficult to know how widespread the use of this technique is in the ophthalmic community.
Designed a LASIK flap stabilizer to surgically manipulate the corneal flap when needed. This was developed in 2002 and was produced by a medical instruments company (Rhein Medical). It has been available for sale since then. I have no financial interest in this product nor am I aware of how widespread its use is.
Initiated the idea to use umbilical cord serum to treat persistent corneal epithelial defects. A clinical trial proved its efficacy and was published in the British Journal of Ophthalmology.
Was the first to perform human implantation of a device to measure intraocular pressure by telemetry. Led the team investigating the device from the ex-vivo experiments to animal studies until human implantation. Rabbit studies were published in IOVS.
Initiated the idea of using Rose Bengal Dye instead of Riboflavin to induce corneal collagen crosslinking. This may allow a safer and shorter procedure time in treating patients with corneal ectatic disorders.
Developed and validated a surgical checklist to minimize human errors during laser vision correction. A standardized list does not exist for the more than 800,000 procedures done in the US per year.
Report of Education of Patients and Service to the Community
2000 – 2008 Regular (approximately on a monthly basis) seminars to patients about Cataract treatment strategies. Lecturer. Boston Eye Group.
Report of Scholarship
Peer Reviewed Publications in print or other media
- 1.Abumrad NA,Melki SA, Harmon CM. Transport of fatty acid in the isolated rat adipocyte and in differentiating preadipose cells. Biochem Soc Trans. 1990;18(6):1130-2.
- 1.Abumrad NA, Forest C, Regen DM, Barnella US,Melki SA. Metabolism of oleic acid in differentiating BFC-1 preadipose cells. Am J Physiol. 1991;261(1 Pt 1):E76-86.
- Melki SA, Abumrad NA. Glycerolipid synthesis in isolated adipocytes: substrate dependence and influence of norepinephrine. J Lipid Res. 1992;33(5):669-78.
- Melki SA, Abumrad NA. Expression of the adipocyte fatty acid-binding protein in streptozotocin-diabetes: effects of insulin deficiency and supplementation. J Lipid Res. 1993;34(9):1527-34.
- Melki SA, Safar A, Martin J, Ivanova A, Adi M. Potential acuity pinhole: a simple method to measure potential visual acuity in patients with cataracts, comparison to potential acuity meter. Ophthalmology. 1999;106(7):1262-7.
- Melki SA, Safar A, Yaghouti F, Scharper P, Scharper M, Zeligs B, MacDowell AL, Goldberg MA, Lustbader J. Effect of topical povidone-iodine versus topical ofloxacin on experimental Staphylococcus keratitis. Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol. 2000;238(5):459-62.
- Mulroy L, Kim J, Wu I, Scharper P,Melki SA, Azar DT, Redmond RW, Kochevar IE. Photochemical keratodesmos for repair of lamellar corneal incisions. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2000;41(11):3335-40.
- Melki SA, Talamo JH, Demetriades AM, Jabbur NS, Essepian JP, O’Brien TP, Azar DT. Late traumatic dislocation of laser in situ keratomileusis corneal flaps. Ophthalmology. 2000;107(12):2136-9.
- Vajpayee RB, Mukerji N, Tandon R, Sharma N, Pandey RM, Biswas NR, Malhotra N,Melki SA. Evaluation of umbilical cord serum therapy for persistent corneal epithelial defects. Br J Ophthalmol. 2003;87(11):1312-6.
- Taneri S, Koch JM,Melki SA, Azar DT. Mitomycin-C assisted photorefractive keratectomy in the treatment of buttonholed laser in situ keratomileusis flaps associated with epithelial ingrowth. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2005 Oct;31(10);2026-2030.
- Zerbe BL, Belin MW, Ciolino JB; Boston Type 1 Keratoprosthesis Study Group. Results from the multicenter Boston Type 1 Keratoprosthesis Study. Ophthalmology. 2006 Oct;113(10):1779.e1-7.
- Dagher MA, Todani A,Melki SA. The LASIK Buttonhole: Classification and Management Algorithm. J of Cataract Refract Surg. 2008 Nov;34(11):1892-9.
- Todani A,Melki SA. Pterygium: Current concepts in pathogenesis and treatment. Int Ophthalmol Clin. 2009 Winter ;49(1):21-30.
- Todani A, Melki SA. LASIK interface fluid. Ophthalmology. 2009 Apr;116(4):815; author reply 816.
- Harissi-Dagher M, Frimmel S, Melki SA. High Myopia as a risk factor for post-Lasik ectasia: a case report. Digital Journal of Ophthalmology. Vol 15:1. 2009
- Todani A, Melki SA. Late-onset epithelial ingrowth after laser in situ keratomileusis. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2009 Nov;35(11):2022-3.
- Todani A, Al-Arfaj K,Melki SA. Repositioning free laser in situ keratomileusis flaps. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2010 Feb;36(2):200-2.
- Melki SA, Cherfan D. Inaccurate interchange of terms to define astigmatic cornea. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2010 Oct;36(10):1796.
- Melki SA, Harissi-Dagher M, Wu S, Fava M. Viscoelastic-Assisted DSAEK. Melki SA, Harissi-Dagher M, Wu S, Fava MA. Ophthalmology. 2011 May;118(5):1003-4.
- Melki SA, Harissi-Dagher M. The Coaxially Sighted IOL Light Reflex for Centration of the Multifocal Single Piece Intraocular Lens. Melki SA, Harissi-Dagher M. Can J Ophthalmol. 2011 Aug;46(4):319-21.
- Maddox rod effect to confirm the visual significance of laser in situ keratomileusis flap striae. Choi CJ, Melki SA. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2011 Oct;37(10):1748-50.
- Intraocular pressure measurement by radio wave telemetry. Todani A, Behlau I, Fava M, Cade F, Cherfan D, Zakka FR, Jakobiec F, Gao Y, Dohlman CH,Melki SA. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2011.
- Inadvertent LASIK Flap Creation Over a Soft Contact Lens. Sadaka A, Cherfan DG,Melki SA. J Refract Surg. 2011 Nov 10:1-2.
- Risk factors for the development of retroprosthetic membranes with Boston keratoprosthesis type 1: multicenter study results.Rudnisky CJ, Belin MW, Todani A, Al-Arfaj K, Ament JD, Zerbe BJ, Ciolino JB; Boston Type 1 Keratoprosthesis Study Group. Ophthalmology. 2012 May;119(5):951-5. Epub 2012 Feb 22.
- Loose anchoring suture to secure a free flap after laser in situ keratomileusis. Choi CJ,Melki SA .J Cataract Refract Surg. 2012 Jul;38(7):1127-9.
- Refractive surgical problem: September consultation.Galor A, Güell J, Hurmeric V, Kymionis GD, Lindfield D, Melki S, Ritterband D, Vaddavalli PK.J Cataract Refract Surg. 2012 Sep;38(9):1698-9.
- Retention of the Boston keratoprosthesis type 1: multicenter study results.Ciolino JB, Belin MW, Todani A, Al-Arfaj K, Rudnisky CJ; Boston Keratoprosthesis Type 1 Study Group.Ophthalmology. 2013 Jun;120(6):1195-200. doi: 10.1016/j.ophtha.2012.11.025. Epub 2013 Mar 15.
- Collagen cross-linking using rose bengal and green light to increase corneal stiffness.Cherfan D, Verter EE, Melki SA, Gisel TE, Doyle FJ Jr, Scarcelli G, Yun SH, Redmond RW, Kochevar IE.Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2013 May 13;54(5):3426-33.
- Boston type I Keratoprosthesis for Treatment of Gelatinous Drop-Like Corneal Dystrophy After Repeated Graft Failure. Fadlallah A, Jakobiec FA, Mendoza PR, Pierre Zalloua P, Melki SA. Semin Ophthalmol. 2013 Oct 11.
- Sandwich Fibrin Glue Technique for Attachment of Conjunctival Autograft during Pterygium Surgery. Fava M, Choi C, Mollayes G, Melki SA. Can J Ophthalmol. 2013 Dec;48 (6):516-20.
- Gamma-irradiated Corneas as a Carrier for the Boston type 1 Keratoprosthesis: Advantages and Outcomes in a Surgical Mission Setting . Ali Fadlallah, Marwan Atallah, Georges Cherfan, Shady T. Awwad, Zeba A. Syed, Samir A. Melki SA, Cornea. 2014 Mar;33 (3):235-9
- Reliable Intraocular Pressure Measurement Using Automated Radiowave Telemetry. Eleftherios Paschalis, MSc, PhD, Fabiano Cade, MD, MSc, Melki SA, MD, PhD, Louis R. Pasquale, MD, Claes H. Dohlman, MD, PhD, Joseph B. Ciolino, MD. Clin Ophthalmol. 2014 Jan 7;8:177-85.
- Successful femtosecond LASIK flap creation despite multiple suction loss. Syed Z, Melki SA. Digital Journal of Ophthalmology. Volume 20, Number 1. Jan 2014.
- Intraocular Pressure Fluctuation and Glaucoma Progression: What Do We Know? Matthew C. Leidl M.D, Catherine J. Choi, M.S, Zeba A. Syed., and Melki SA. Br J Ophthalmol. 2014 Mar 13. doi: 10.1136.
- An Implantable Intraocular Pressure Transducer: Initial Safety Outcomes. Melki SA, Amit Todani, George Cherfan. JAMA Ophthalmol. 2014 Jun 26. doi: 10.1001/jamaophthalmol.2014.
- Corneal Perforation by an Astigmatic Keratotomy performed with an OCT-Guided Femtosecond Laser. Daniel G. Cherfan, Melki SA. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2014 Jul;40(7):1224-7. doi: 10.1016/j.jcrs.2014.04.021.
- Lasik Complications: Review. Deepikah Shah, Melki SA. Seminars in Ophthalmology (In Press).
- Salcone EM, Hamdy S, Melki SA, Hunter DG. Scleral Perforation during Routine Exaggerated Traction Test in a Patient with Osteogenesis Imperfecta. J AAPOS 2014 (In Press.)
- Piggyback Intraocular Lens To Shield The Posterior Capsular Bag During Lens Exchange. Han-Ying Peggy Chang, MD, Kenneth Garrett, and Melki SA MD, PhD. Journal of Cataract And Refractive Surgery (Accepted with revisions)
- Risk Factors for LASIK Retreatment. Jonathan N. Kruh, Kenneth A. Garrett Brian Huntington, and Melki SA. Journal of Refractive Surgery (Submitted)
- Anterior Chamber Gas Bubble Emergence Pattern during Femtosecond LASIK-flap Creation. MC Robert, Khreim N, Melki SA. Journal of Cataract and Refractive Surgery (submitted)
- Safety Checklist for Refractive Surgery: A Pilot Study. Robert MC, Choi C, Urman RD, Shapiro FE, Melki SA. JAMA Ophthalmology (submitted)
Non-peer reviewed scientific or medical publications/materials in print or other media
Other non-peer reviewed publications:
Reviews, chapters, monographs and editorials
- Melki SA. Patient Selection key to Good PTK Outcomes. Ophthalmology Times, Feb 1999.
- Melki SA. PRK Pain Has Physical, Emotional Sides. Ophthalmology Times, Feb 1999.
- Melki SA. Strategies Offer Hope for Management of Haze, Scars. Ophthalmology Times, Feb 1999.
- Melki SA. High Accuracy Key in Avoiding Clear Lens Complications. Ophthalmology Times, Feb 1999.
- Melki SA. 7 Pearls Can Help Avoid LASIK Complications. Ophthalmology Times, Mar 1999.
- Melki SA. What Causes LASIK Flap Problems, How to Correct them.Ophthalmology Times, May 1999.
- Melki SA and Azar DT. Secondary Posterior Chamber Intraocular Lenses: Bag and Sulcus Fixation. In Intraocular Lenses In Cataract and Refractive Surgery, Azar DT Ed., W.B. Saunders Publishing, 2001.
- Vajpayee RB,Melki SA, Sharma N. Technique of Penetrating Keratoplasty. In Corneal Transplantation. Vajpayee RB Ed. Jaypee publishing, 2002.
- Roque MR, Melki SA, Azar DA, Yeung E. Management of Flap Complications in LASIK. In LASIK: Fundamentals, Surgical Techniques and Complications. Azar DA, Koch DD Eds. Marcel Dekker publishing. 2003.
- Khan B, Nguyen A, Melki SA. LASIK postoperative Complications. In Step by Step LASIK Surgery. Vajpayee RB Ed. Jaypee publishing, 2003.
- Melki SA. A string of Lasik pearls. Review of Ophthalmology. April 2004
- Melki SA. How to Get the Most of Lasik. Vol. No: 13:06Issue: 2006
- Melki SA. The Case for the Large Lasik Flap. Ocular Surgery News. 2007.
- Melki SA. Handle Complications Like an Expert. Review of Ophthalmology. Vol. No: 15:10Issue: 2008
- Melki SA, Gatinel D, Nguyen A. The Lasik Buttonhole. Video Atlas of Advanced Ophthalmic Surgeries. Agarwal Ed. Slack inc. 2010
- Melki SA. A String of Lasik Pearls. Review of Ophthalmology. 2010.
- Melki SA. Contributor, Consultation Section. Journal of Cataract and Refractive Surgery. Vol 36:9, Sept 2010
Books/Textbooks for the medical or scientific community
- Atlas of Clinical Wisdom, Cornea and Refractive. Melki SA & Fava M Eds. Slack Inc. 2011
- 101 Pearls in Refractive Cataract and Corneal Surgery. Melki SA & Azar DT Eds. Slack inc. 2001 (1st ed.) 2006 (2nd ed.)
- Step by Step LASIK Surgery. Vajpayee RB, Sullivan L, Melki SA, Sharma N. Eds. Jaypee, 2003
1991 Doctoral Thesis: Lipid Metabolism In Adipocytes: I- Glycerolipid Synthesis; Kinetics and Influence of Norepinephrine. II- Effect of Streptozotocin-Diabetes On adipose-Specific Gene Expression. Ph.D. in Molecular Physiology and Biophysics. Vanderbilt University.
Abstracts, Poster Presentations and Exhibits Presented at Professional Meetings:
- Melki SA, Presbyopic IOLs: The real life experience. The Lebanese Ophthalmology Society. Beirut, Lebanon. 2011.
- Melki SA, Has the femtosecond laser made Lasik safer? The Lebanese Ophthalmology Society. Beirut, Lebanon. 2011
- Melki SA. Telemetric IOP measurement for keratoprosthesis and beyond. The Lebanese Ophthalmology Society. Beirut, Lebanon. 2011.
- Melki SA. Classification and Management of the Lasik buttonhole. The Lebanese Ophthalmology Society. Beirut, Lebanon. 2011.
- Melki SA, Has the femtosecond laser made Lasik safer? Bristol Eye Hospital, Bristol UK. 2011.
- Melki SA. Presbyopic IOLS: The real life experience. Bristol Eye Hospital, Bristol UK. 2011.
- Melki SA. The Boston Keratoprosthesis: An introduction. Bristol Eye Hospital, Bristol UK. 2011.
- Melki SA, When Cornea helps Glaucoma: Telemetric IOP measurement for Kpro and beyond. Bristol Eye Hospital. Bristol UK. 2011.
- Melki SA, Telemetric IOP measurement for Keratoprosthesis. 8th Kpro study group meeting. Bascom Palmer Eye Institute. Miami. 2012.
- Melki SA, The Boston Kpro: Indications, Management, Results. Lebanese Ophthalmic Society. Beirut. 2012.
- Melki SA, A Novel Collagen Crosslinking Method. Lebanese Ophthalmic Society. Beirut. 2012.
- Melki SA, LASIK Complications and Management. Canadian Ophthalmic Society. Montreal. 2013.
- Melki SA, Does EMR make Refractive Surgery Safer. Canadian Ophthalmic Society. Montreal. 2013.
- Melki SA, Interactive Case Presentation. Canadian Ophthalmic Society. Montreal. 2013.
- Melki SA, Sandwich Glue Technique for Pterygium Surgery. Canadian Ophthalmic Society. Montreal. 2013.
- Melki SA, DSEK under Healon. Canadian Ophthalmic Society. Montreal. 2013.
- Melki SA. Scarring After Refractive Surgery. Frontiers in Corneal Research, Mass Eye and Ear Infirmary. Boston. 2013.
- Melki SA, Catherine Choi, Marie-Claude Robert, Fred E. Shapiro, Melki SA. Effect of a Surgical Safety Checklist for Refractive Procedures. American Academy of Ophthalmology. New Orleans. 2013.
- Melki SA, Melki SA. Interface Complications in Lamellar Refractive Surgery. World Ophthalmology Congress. Tokyo. 2014.